Thursday, July 3, 2008

SLA 23 things - Session 1 - Week 1, 2, 3


Since I have already done a number of the things suggested I know i will be going faster than many.

Week 1 - Introduction

Today I read the introduction to "23 Things".

Nice, well written, interesting.

Week 2 - Blogging

Then I started Week 2 Blogging. Since I already have a few blogs going (CFUW Oakville, Darimont Family Adventures, etc.) I decided to track my progress in this one - Carolyne's Pages of Interest.

Week 2 is an intro to blogging, setting up a blog, monitoring a blog etc. They recommend Bloglines for tracking blogs, however, I much prefer Google reader.

Another thing i noticed that they did not specifically point out is Windows Live Writer. Since installing it, it is my primary blogging tool.

It would also be really nice if there were a link at end of each week to the beginning of the next weeks' material.

Week 3 - Tagging, Folksonomies & Technorati

I already have a del.icio.us account.

del.icio.us/library.blogger I am library.blogger on del.icio.us
add library.blogger to your network Add me to your network

I love that they point to the Common Craft "Social Bookmarking in Plain English".
Too bad they did not link to the "Blogs in Plain English" for week 2.

I am not a huge fan of tagging because anyone can tag anything anything. However, I am a huge fan of defined tags such as SLA2008, and this SLA23things. Controlled vocabulary -- I must be a librarian!!

I would like something like this inside the firewall. For confidentiality reasons, I would not create a list of bookmarks that are work related on an external site.

I also have an account on Technorati.  http://www.technorati.com/people/technorati/carolyne

Found this just now -- identi.ca - open source competitition for Twitter.  Cool.

Library 2.0

Much of my 2.0 is inside the corporate firewall. Nothing confidential can be let out. So, unless someone with server access loads software for doing things, I am stuck only doing things for me and not for work. Local IT will not load or assist with anything new :( and that is my greatest hurtle.

del.icio.us Tags: ,


No comments:

Post a Comment